One of the first jobs I do when I've sent a book to my editor is clean my desk. You would not believe … no really, you wouldn't. I am such a slob.
On my desk right now:
- Computer. Obviously
- Ayrton Senna mousemat plus mouse
- Blue pen
- Compact camera (amazingly) in case
- Yellow Post-it notes
- Reading glasses
- Photographic paper
- Letter (remember those?) from a friend
- iPhone (charging)
- USB lead for camera
- Case for reading glasses (empty)
- Battery charger (empty)
- Three coasters: One 'Over the Hill', one 'Happy Mother's Day' and one 'World's Greatest Sister'
- Pen top belonging to a long-lost red pen
- Coffee mug with an inch of cold coffee lurking in the bottom
- USB lead that belongs to… ?
- Half eaten apple
- Remote control for iPod docking station
- Cheque book
- Biscuit crumbs
- Layer of dust...
I bet you're thinking "Wow, I wish I had a desk that big…". So do I. My desk is, um, desk-sized - i.e. not big enough for holding all this crap. As my old teacher used to say: "Tidy desk, tidy mind."
What's on your desk? Are you a neat freak?